The following guidance should be followed for receipt of proposals by the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) for staff review for completeness and compliance with sponsor requirements. Applications for external funding, including individual fellowships, must be reviewed and approved by ORSP prior to submission. Wake Forest University now uses Cayuse SP for internal proposal routing and approval and Cayuse 424 for submission of proposals that must be submitted using Grants.gov. Some sponsors, such as NSF, have their own electronic proposal submission systems; rarely, proposals must be on paper and sent via a delivery service or courier.
Effective April 1, 2017 all proposals must be routed and approved in Cayuse SP three (3) business days prior to the sponsor submission deadline. In addition, administrative components of the proposal, such as the cover page, budget, and justification, should be completed by the 3-day deadline. These sections may be completed by ORSP staff but the 3-day deadline still applies – information from the Principal Investigator (PI) should be provided in advance. The PI can continue to work on the research plan and other technical sections of the proposal up until 10:00am of the sponsor’s deadline date, if the proposal is being submitted electronically. Proposals to be submitted via paper (courier) must be completed, routed and approved 3 business days prior to the sponsor’s deadline. Other than fall and spring breaks, business days do not include University holidays or weekends.
Proposals will be reviewed and submitted in the order in which they are received. Proposals that meet the 3-business day deadline will take precedence over those that do not. Proposals not received within the deadline will be reviewed and submitted as time permits or at the discretion of the Associate Provost for Research and Scholarly Inquiry.
After ORSP has performed the administrative review, researchers and/or grants and contract managers will be told of any necessary corrections or changes in time to allow for revisions to be made prior to the final 10:00am deadline.
Why is this deadline needed?
- To allow sufficient time to review the budget to make sure that correct rates (ex. salary, fringe, indirect) are used.
- To minimize the impact of system slowdowns or internet connectivity issues on sponsor deadline dates
- To make sure proposals are complete
- To ensure compliance with sponsor certifications
- Use of eIRB is required for all new research studies involving human participants. Go to eIRB »
- All proposals and fellowship applications must be approved in Cayuse SP prior to submission. Go to eVisions Research Suite (access to Cayuse SP and Cayuse 424)
- Current Funding Opportunities
- Deadlines for Reynolda Campus Proposals
- 2018 Annual Report